Monday, February 28, 2011

Progress

I've realized in the last couple of weeks that with just under 7 months to go until our big day, I'm at a point that I need to stop thinking about what I want to do, and actually start DOING it. I have pages and pages of ideas... and it's time to start executing! Thankfully, I have a group of aunts just dying to have wedding craft nights, so once I get all of the supplies and a good example ready to go I'll have lots of help waiting for me :).

I did some errand running and supply hunting with my mom and Manda yesterday, and thanks to successful shopping I spent a couple hours last night holed up in our home office doing crafts on the floor.

One project I know I'll want help with are Martha Stewart's infamous tissue poms, which I envision hanging all over the reception space. (In reality I have no idea where they'll actually go, but I love them enough to figure it out).


My first attempt at a pouf last night was a big huge "meh" -


Collective thoughts from myself and Dan on this project included trying to find a heavier tissue paper - the stuff I bought seemed flimsy and tore way too easily, resulting in a bunch of areas I had to try and hide rips in. I also found that the folds I made weren't deliberate enough, which may also be from the thin tissue. Regardless, the idea of the project wasn't as difficult as I expected, so that's a plus!

I also tried my hand at a DIY bout, utilizing some charcoal gray felt and patterned feathers from Michael's. I grabbed an old button and some striped fabric from Ikea, and was actually quite pleased with my results!


Clearly, I forgot to buy any kind of supply to make the flower stem out of, so for my mockup it's a folded up post-it note wrapped loosely in silver floral wire. Bev suggested using pipe cleaners for the stems, which I think would be perfect.

I'm hoping this week is a little less crazy at work than the last month has been so I can continue working on things in the evenings at home. Our guest list needs a little attention and our wedding website needs a lot of missing info filled in before the save the dates go in the mail, so those items are at the top of the to-do list for the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment