Friday, September 9, 2011

Painting Party

Well, I'm way late on posting this one, but forgive me - I've been knee deep in making tissue paper flowers til my fingers hurt. It will all be worth it in the end (or so I keep telling myself)!

Speaking of the end. It's in 2 weeks. Wow. I think I'm sort of in denial about the whole thing, and I'm already a little sad thinking about how I'm going to be done with wedding planning - forever. (Unless of course I manage to start a wildly successful wedding planning business like I've been saying I should do for ages).

So anyways, Bridget and my mom came over a couple weeks ago and we repainted ALL of the vases. Remember how I was all slaphappy excited about them being done eons ago? And then I put them out on the front porch and the sweltering summer heat caused the paint in all of them to crack and bleed? Yeah, it was awesome. Thankfully, the paint all washed right out and we were ready to give it another shot (good thing I'm using fake flowers because these painted vases are NOT water friendly).

Before we started painting, the lovely Bridget helped me lay out a fake table setting on the living room floor, so we could pair off the vases for each table based on size, shape and texture.


As we paired them, my mom wrote letters on the bottom of each, so we knew which ones went together.


Bridget mixed up two different shades of gray paint, and my mom and I started with the turquoise. My mom bought a bunch of dollar store cooking racks for the vases to stand on upside down while they dried, so that as much extra paint as possible would drip out (hopefully avoiding further cracks). This proved to be a good idea, but also caused several panic attacks from all of us because if one vase tipped... about 20 others would follow. Trust me - the sound of that much glass clinking together is NOT a good one.


Dan helped finish up the last few when he got home -


Thankfully, it's been a couple weeks now and the vases still look pretty and perfect. There were 5 (out of more than 50 - so not bad!) that need to be repainted for one reason or another, but other than that, this project is complete! Now if I can just finish the flowers that go in them...

No comments:

Post a Comment